Table of Contents
Your Flight, Your Spa | Epic Beauty Tips for Your Next Long Haul Flight
I am one of those people who tend arrive to a destination looking like Medusa waking up after a festival (and it really doesn’t matter if it is a short flight, or a 13-hour flight home to Brazil).
Parallel to that, every time my mother arrives from a long haul flight, it is as if she has just come out of a Spa: her hair is shiny and combed, her skin seems hydrated, fresh and clear, and she smells as if she just got out of a shower.
How on earth are we mother and daughter?
To me one of the worst feelings after a long haul flight is how disgusting I feel with myself when I land: the greasy hair full of knots; the dry and dull skin complexion; the way my clothes feel after being in them for so long…
It’s all just too mehhh !!
After so many years of traveling and feeling like an old raisin, I’ve decided to take action and learn from the best how to travel like a pro and land looking my absolute best.
This meant understanding the basics of what an inflight beauty care routine comprises, such as:
- Figuring out ways in how to keep your hair looking fresh during these seemingly endless flights;
- Researching useful tips on travel skincare;
- … Basically knowing all the essentials on what to bring in a long haul flight to best protect your skin while flying.
Below I have gathered 15 airplane beauty tips that will teach you all the travel hacks on how to feel and look great after a long haul flight.
Did you know that there are certain foods and drinks that should be avoided before long haul flights?
1. You should firstly avoid consuming salt, as it causes you to retain liquid and thus swell up like a water balloon
- Drink as much water as you can beforehand to maintain a hydrated body
2. Avoid alcohol and coffee (before and during the flight)
Prep your Skin
The air inside an aircraft is extremely dry. Even if you have tendency towards oily skin, such as myself, you should take some precautions measures before flying in order to avoid having your skin dry out.
3. Exfoliate and Apply a Hydrating Mask to your face the night before you board. This will guarantee an extra level of hydration.
4. The Next Morning – Wash your face with warm water and apply your daily moisturizer with a generous layer of eye creme (don’t forget sunscreen!!)
5. Go Easy on Your Makeup (keep minimalism in mind – You want it to be as easy as possible to remove your makeup once you are onboard the plane)
6. Pack All Your Essentials inside your Carry on – You want to be as practical as possible and keep everything at your arm’s reach. Let’s face it, you should already be getting an award for even considering doing all this, so why not make your life as easy as possible?
Below are some travel essentials examples for long haul flights:
- Skincare: Lip balm, wet wipes, dry shampoo, face + hand cremes
- Hair care: Hairbrush, elastic bands, dry shampoo (bottles up to 3.2 oz are allowed)
- Hygiene: Toothbrush + toothpaste
- Comfort: Headphones, neck pillow, clean pair of socks and an extra scarf
Keep in mind the limit of 100ml products on your carry on!! You don’t want to throw away your precious Kiehl’s face creme because of lack of attention (been there before).
7. Dress for the occasion – Wear warm and comfy clothes. No jeans
During the Flight
8. Remove Makeup for a Fresh Skin Complexion – I recommend using wet wipes inside a flight for practicality (no point in taking cotton pads and a liquid makeup remover. Less is more when thinking airplane beauty care)
9. Remove Your Jewelry for Extra Comfort – Keep in mind that your hands and feet tend to swell once you are up in the air, so rings can get extremely uncomfortable
Pro Tip: Bring inside your carry-on a small jewelry box, or something in which you can safely place your jewelry inside so you don’t risk losing anything.
10. Keep Your Hair Under Control – I have very fine hair and up in the air it creates these insane knots that seem impossible to comb through. My solution for this was to comb it before sleeping and tying it in a low bun, and only untying it once I land. This not only prevents my hair from getting greasy, but also helps avoiding so many knots. Win-win!!
11. Hydrate – Remember to drink loads of water throughout the flight, to apply facial spray and lip balm in order to prevent dry cracked skin and lips
12. Freshen Up Just Before Landing – This means brushing your teeth and reapplying creme to hydrate your face. This is also the moment where you apply some makeup to prepare for landing). – again, don’t forget the sunscreen (never forget the sunscreen)
After the Flight
13. Duty Free – If you don’t have some perfume on your carry on, the best solution is to quickly stop by at the Duty Free shop, choose your favorite fragrance and apply some to yourself (don’t be shy, the Duty Free salespeople are accosted to flyers doing so)
14. Give Your Hair Some Life – Go to the bathroom and apply some dry shampoo to your hair; brush it through thoroughly. You can always buy dry shampoo once you land to your destination in any airport pharmacy.
15. Change Shirts – This is not necessary for many, but if you are one of those people who easily sweat, this could be a valuable way to make you feel great once you arrive.
Phew, that’s a wrap!!!
Pin this post for later!