In this post I will go how to create a natural exfoliator scrub with leftover coffee (you know, the ones inside your Nespresso capsules that you always throw away). Find in this post an easy recipe for a DIY 3-Ingredients coffee face scrub for acne and how to use a coffee scrub for optimal results.
Hi girls, how are you today?
It is officially day 12 of the quarantine in Spain and I feel the lack of exercise and Vitamin D having a toll on my mental health.
I’ve been trying to pamper myself here and there. I elongate my body when the afternoon sun hits our balcony. I am waking up earlier to meditate and read. And, of course, I am taking care of my skin (as always).
Lately, however, I ran out of my exfoliator. Parallel to that, we have so many used coffee capsules around lately that this gave me an idea to look up how to make coffee scrubs.
To my surprise, it is very easy to create a lush scrub made out of used coffee capsules. In fact, I quickly discovered a 3-Ingredients Coffee Face Scrub for Acne that consisted of used coffee capsules, sugar and coconut oil.
I immediately gave it a go (and I recorded it for you guys – See it further down the post).
So if you ever felt that your skin is dry or rough whenever you run your hand across your cheek, or if you think your face looks dull and want to get glowing skin? If so, a facial exfoliation will do you wonders.
Why Face Exfoliation Is Important?
- removes excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells that might clog your pores. This allows fresh cells to come up at the surface of your skin.
- helps your skin get rid of toxins but also encourages cell regeneration. This helps in reducing dark spots, acne scars, and other blemishes.
- improves blood circulation to your skin. This allows your skin cells to receive oxygen and important nutrients.
- your skin gets rid of dead skin cells that leave your skin with new and rejuvenated cells. This helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
But Ana, What does a Coffee Face Scrub do?
Well, I am glad you asked!
You see, coffee’s caffeine content and potent antioxidants gave it powerful anti-inflammatory properties, so if you’re prone to acne and to breakouts, the antioxidants in coffee can help reduce inflammation and unsightly redness.
Moreover, the antioxidants, stimulants, and chromosome acids in coffee may make it an effective acne-fighting facial scrub.
This to say that, scrubbing the face with coffee grounds can help to clear away dead skin cells and unclog the pores.
Additionally, coffee face scrub has amazing antioxidants to protect your skin against free radicals, which are responsible for all the effects of aging (we need to fight against them). That is why coffee face scrub is ideal, as it has amazing anti-aging properties.
How Do You Make Coffee Scrub?
As explained, coffee facial scrub is a natural exfoliator and the benefits from doing it once to twice a week can be incredible to your overall skin appearance.
As I am not so much into DIY, I wanted the easiest and most efficient recipe I could find.
That is why when I found the 2-ingredient face coffee scrub recipe I was blown away.
Truth be told, I didn’t even measure the amount of ingredients. I simply mixed coffee, with a bit of sugar and a tad of coconut oil (careful with the coconut oil dosage, because in excess it can have counter effects and clog your pores).
See below a video of how I created a coffee face scrub during our Barcelona quarantine:
How long does homemade coffee scrub last?
If you plan to make a lot to keep for another day, it is totally fine. However, be warned that you shouldn’t keep the mx for longer than 2 months.
If it is reaching expiration, throw it out and do yourself a new coffee face scrub. It’s so easy after all.
How to apply coffee face scrub to your face
Rub the coffee scrub into clean facial or neck using gentle circular motions, for one minute. Rinse dry with lukewarm water.
Be gentle. There is no need to put a lot of pressure, or it can have counter-effects.
How do you make a coffee scrub without coconut oil?
Alternatives to coconut oil could be a bit of olive oil, or even honey for that matter.
Coffee Face Scrub Ingredients
Skipped to the end? No worries.
I have made a summary of how to prepare and apply the coffee face scrub correctly:
1. DIY 3-Ingredients Coffee face Scrub Recipe
- 2 Used coffee capsules
- 1 Tablespoon White/Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil / olive oil /honey
How To Use you DIY Coffee Face Scrub
- Take a bowl and mix well all the ingredients
- Cleanse your face with your regular face wash
- Apply the scrub to your wet skin.
- Gently massage the mixture on your face in a circular motion for about 1 minute
- For optimal effects: Leave the mixture on your face for about 5 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and a clean towel.
- Finish by washing off the excess from the oil with a foam cleanser
- Apply serum and moisturizer.
- Repeat it 1-2 times a week.
- You can store the rest of the mixture in a jar for up to 2 months
LASTLY, don’t forget to wash off any excess from the oil with a foam cleanser!