Looking for curvy women professional attire guide so that you favor your God-given curves and always look your best in the workplace?
Whether you work in an industry with a strict professional dress code or a company that allows you to dress as you wish, you need to be mindful of what you wear to work.
Clothes do more than influence your comfort level and looks—they also have the power to affect your creativity, thinking, and office performance.
One study published in the Social Psychological and Personality Science journal revealed how changing into formal business attire (as opposed to a casual ensemble) can help improve abstract thinking, which is a crucial part of creativity and strategizing.
Given the impact of clothing on your professional life, you may want to put more effort into creating work outfits that will make you look sharp, fabulous, and ready for success.
Perhaps you’re a curvy woman looking for ways to improve how you dress at work. If so, we’ve got you covered.
This article will guide you through selecting and styling clothing pieces that embrace your curves and make you look and feel your best.
Curvy Women Professional Attire | How to Rock Dresses in the Workplace
Dresses are a must-have in your work capsule wardrobe.
They are ideal in most professional settings as they can make you look feminine, stylish, and confident with little effort.
However, as with other body types, the key to looking stunning in a dress is to find pieces that work and complement your curves.
From selecting flattering styles to looking at details with a slimming effect, here are some tips to help you rock dresses in the workplace:
1. Use Tights to Create a Lovely Silhouette
Tights are wardrobe staples for women who have to adhere to a formal business wear dress code at the office.
Besides keeping your legs warm and keeping your skin exposure to a minimum, wearing the right pair of tights for women under your dress can help create a more slender and streamlined look.
Opt for pairs with control top features, as these have wider bands and offer better support. Some can even smooth your tummy, hips, and thighs, much like your favorite shapewear.
Make sure that your tights always work in your favor by remembering the following pointers:
- Make sure the color of your tights goes well with the color of your dress. When in doubt, go with black, nude, or other neutral shades to keep them appropriate for professional environments.
- If you want to experiment with patterned tights to add visual interest to your outfit, opt for more delicate and subtle designs to keep your look classy and elegant.
- Wear heels that match the color of your tights to create the illusion of longer and slimmer legs.
2. Opt for Figure-Flattering Dresses
Contrary to a common misconception, loose and baggy dresses do not complement full-figured women. What you need are dresses with styles and details that flatter your figure and help create an attractive silhouette.
Apart from wrap-around dresses that help define your waistline and hug your body in all the right places, here are other figure-flattering styles that can make you look ultra-chic and professional:
- A-line skirt styles flare away from your body and conceal a heavy lower body.
- Empire-cut pieces that cinch above your natural waist and flow down to the hem can produce an elongating and slimming effect.
- No-waist or straight dresses can make the tummy area less noticeable.
- Dresses with color blocking, vertical ruffles, peplum, and ruching draw attention to your lovely curves, conceal heavier body parts, and create an illusion of a slender frame.
3. Wear a Structured Blazer
Perhaps the best way to transform any dress into an elegant and confidence-boosting work outfit for curvy ladies is by wearing a structured blazer over it.
Aside from keeping your arms covered, a blazer’s sharp vertical lines work well to elongate and tighten your figure. Make sure that the shoulder seam hits your shoulder and not your upper arm for a more put-together appearance.
4. Complete Your Look with Heels
Be sure to wear high-heeled shoes whenever you wear a dress to the office, as they make your legs look long and lean.
The added height can also improve your confidence and assertiveness—qualities that can serve you well in your career. It is worth pointing out that not all heel styles are flattering for a curvy figure.
So, be mindful of the heel type and design when looking for suitable pairs. Instead of chunky and square-toe pumps that can make your feet look wide and heavy, opt for thinner heels and pointy-toe styles to complement your frame and enhance your outfit.
5 Tips for Combining Work-Appropriate Separates
Besides learning how to wear dresses to work, you may also want to master the art of mixing and matching different clothing pieces to create outfits that look great and make you feel like you’re at the top of your game.
Don’t know where to start? Below are a few tips to guide you in the right direction:
Build your capsule wardrobe.
Invest in flattering jackets, tops, pants, skirts, and other staples in neutral shades, such as black and navy.
This will help you build a closet full of clothing pieces that you can readily combine to create stunning looks.
Peplum blouses, flowy asymmetrical tops, pencil skirts, and high-waist pants are just a few clothing styles you may want to purchase as they work best with curvy frames.
When in doubt, go for a monochromatic color scheme.
If you lack time to prepare your work attire the night before or are unsure of what to wear, your best bet is to pair tops and bottoms in the same shade.
We love monochromatic outfits. They look extremely elegant in every body type.
Try wearing an all-black or all-charcoal gray ensemble to create the illusion of a longer and thinner frame.
Aim for balance.
Remember to balance proportions when mixing and matching separates to create a polished and aesthetically-pleasing appearance.
For instance, you can pair a voluminous top with cigarette pants, pencil skirts, and similar slim-fitting bottoms or a fitted top with wide-legged pants and balloon skirts.
Play with bright colors and prints.
Dark colors may have a slimming effect, but you can still use pieces in bright hues or printed fabrics to add a pop of color and personality to your work ensemble.
Say you’re wearing a black body-hugging top and a pair of black straight-legged pants. You can break the monotony by wearing a statement jacket in a vibrant hue or with a bold print.
Don’t be afraid to experiment.
Creating flattering work ensembles using your favorite wardrobe pieces requires time and practice. While styling tips can help, you can always tweak them to suit your preferences and express your unique personality.
Keep experimenting to develop a style that enhances your confidence and makes you feel like a million bucks.
Workplace Fashion Dos and Don’ts for Curvy Women
Putting together flattering outfits requires a combination of styling techniques and the right attitude to ensure stunning results. French fashionistas are masters of combining outfits that are elegant and comfortable.
Do you want to dress in office ensembles that work?
Consider the following workplace fashion dos and don’ts to dress well while embracing your curves.
- Do wear clothes that fit your body to a tee. Don’t hide your shape in baggy and loose-fitting pieces that can make you appear broader and heavier.
- Do go for darker-wash jeans when dressing casually for work, not only to create a slimming effect but also to exude a laid-back yet put-together vibe.
- Don’t wear tops with horizontal necklines because they can make your shoulders and bust appear wider.
- Do avoid heels with ankle straps, as they can make your legs appear short and stocky.
- Do it like the Italian women: don’t wear clothes that reveal too much skin. Instead, draw attention to your curves by wearing flattering clothing and using styling techniques.
Hopefully, this article gave you plenty of ideas on how to create work-appropriate outfits that complement your curvy figure and make you look stunning.
There are many more options available, so allow yourself to enjoy dressing up instead of trying to hide your body.
With the right pieces, proper styling techniques, and confidence, you can carry yourself well and dress for success effortlessly.
Leave a Reply